Tag Archives: carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Work

Hundreds of individuals have been exposed to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide while at work, including 150 employees at Middleville Tool and Die in Michigan when a hi-lo vehicle malfunctioned emitting carbon monoxide and hydrogen sulfide fumes, and 3 construction workers in Berkley, California who were operating a gas power washer inside a building. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a dangerous risk for workers.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, and poisonous gas that results from the incomplete burning of natural gas, gasoline, kerosene, oil, propane, coal, and other carbon-containing materials. Workers may be exposed to harmful levels of carbon monoxide in boiler rooms, warehouses, petroleum refineries, steel production, blast furnaces and coke ovens.

Initial symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, fatigue, dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, chest pain. Within minutes and without warning, large amounts of carbon monoxide can cause loss of consciousness, suffocation, and death. If caught early, carbon monoxide poisoning can be reversed; however, there may be permanent brain and heart damage from the lack of oxygen to the organs during the exposure.

There are several measures employers can take to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning including installing effective ventilation systems that remove carbon monoxide from work areas and installing carbon monoxide monitors with audible alarms. To be safe, employees should report any situation to their employer that might cause carbon monoxide to accumulate and be alert to any ventilation problems.

If you or someone else is experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning move to an open area with fresh air and call 911. For more information on carbon monoxide poisoning, read the U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Fact Sheet.

Tips to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

-Beware_of_carbon_monoxide-_-_NARA_-_513966The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimate that at least 430 people die each year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning. Several years ago we represented a young lady who was exposed to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning at a convenience store where she worked. Some repairs were being made to concrete and the workers were using gas-powered tools to cut into the concrete and there was improper ventilation. She collapsed and was taken to the hospital with possible brain damage.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that can severely damage the human body and in some cases it can lead to death. The following tips can protect your family from CO poisoning:

  • Know the symptoms of CO poisoning. These include headaches, dizziness, vomiting, confusion, weakness, blurred vision and nausea. Extreme symptoms include severely impaired mental state, coordination loss, loss of breath, increased heart rate, chest pain and loss of consciousness. Persons experiencing CO poisoning symptoms should be removed from the enclosed environment and taken to a medical professional. Call your local authorities to make a report.
  • Be aware of CO sources in your home. Any gas burning appliance such as a furnace, boiler, gas stove, water heater, fireplace and gas-powered tools can be a CO source. Make sure these types of appliances are serviced regularly to lower the risk of CO poisoning.
  • Don’t put a gas generator in the house, garage or outside your house near a window. Generators have the capability of producing CO levels several hundred times those found in normal automobile exhausts. The CDC recommends that generators should be used at least 20 feet away from your house in a properly ventilated area.
  • Install a CO detector to alert of a possible CO leak.

For more information please visit www.serpefirm.com/personal-injury-blog/.